In 2012, with the development of the Millvale EcoDistrict Pivot 1.0 Plan, the community came together to tackle three key issue areas —Food because of their status as a food desert, Water due to a frequent history of damaging floods, and Energy due the health and economic benefits. Three years later, the community had been hard at work collaborating both internally as well as with regional partners and making significant progress on the community’s goals. With over 70% of the goals from the first iteration of their plan complete, the community turned its attention to the future by kicking off Millvale EcoDistrict Pivot 2.0 planning activities. Expanding its focus to Air, Mobility, and Equity, on October 26th, 2015, over 80 residents and community stakeholders came together to Imagine Millvale.
Through the Millvale EcoDistrict Pivot 2 Plan, the community created the following vision statements which guide development activities:
- Food: Millvale is a foodie paradise for everyone and is known for hyper local production.
- Water: Millvale is part of a just watershed system known for productive and pleasurable landscapes.
- Energy: Millvale is a self reliant urban solar village.
- Air: Millvale is a clean air community where people breathe easy indoors and outdoors.
- Mobility: Millvale is a place where people of all ages have the freedom to move safely.
- Equity: Millvale is a place of self-determination, where Millvalians are able to participate and shape their future as well as the future of Millvale.
The Millvale EcoDistrict Collaborative consists of four founding members: the Borough of Millvale, Millvale Community Development Corporation, Millvale Community Library, and New Sun Rising. The partners have committed to meet regularly, coordinate activities, and share resources to achieve the goals of the plan. Realization of the Millvale EcoDistrict would not have been possible without the expert planning guidance, creative engagement, and authentic partnership of the team at evolveEA.